225g butter, melted
200g brown sugar
200g brown sugar
200g white sugar
2 large eggs
15ml vanilla extract
250g SR flour (I use Dove Farm's Freee)
170g pecans, chopped
Method
Preheat oven to 175C, and prepare a 20x30cm baking pan.
Whisk the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.
Stir in the flour, and fold in the chopped nuts.
Spread the mixture evenly in the baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes. The top should be crackled, the edges set, but the centre still slightly soft. The chewie will firm up as they cool.
----
Notes
The first time I made Chewies I used 400g of dark brown sugar. This produced squares with a distinctly brownie look. Photographs of the Chewies show them as being lighter in colour. To reflect this, I've swapped out 200g of the brown sugar for white.
We had no pecans, but we did have pistachios. They made an excellent substitution.
"Pecan Chewies are dense, butter, brown sugar and pecan cookie bars. They are rooted in the culinary traditions of the Gullah Geechee community along the South Carolina and Georgia coast."
We had no pecans, but we did have pistachios. They made an excellent substitution.
"Pecan Chewies are dense, butter, brown sugar and pecan cookie bars. They are rooted in the culinary traditions of the Gullah Geechee community along the South Carolina and Georgia coast."

No comments:
Post a Comment